Friday, June 26, 2009

People...ask the question you want answered, PLEASE!

With a new office usually comes new co-workers, and my latest move from what was the Iraq Assistance Group (IAG) into Fturue Operations (FUOPS) is no different. Instead of being focused solely on passing information to and from the coalition Transition Teams, I have the added responsibility of being a "subject matter expert" for all things borders in Iraq. When the folks at FUOPS are deep in the throes of the planning process and they need to know if/how the border security forces will be affected, they come to me for my thoughts on the subject. Don't worry, I have 3 retired Customs/Immigration Federal Agents that provide the real expertise when it comes to law enforcement, but I still have the low-down on Iraq's bordr forces. Anywa, I usually get at least twice a week the following: "Tell me everything you know about borders." (or a variation thereof). Really? Everything? Okay...they're at the edge of things, usually annotated by a line of some sort. Map makers are quite fond of them because it makes it easier to know where to stop coloring pink and to start coloring yellow or blue. It's the name of a bookstore. It's also a type of collie that has an innate need to herd things (sheep, people, cars)...Shall I go on? I think the next time I get that vague question my response will be wild-eyed, furtive glances and a panicked "They've got us surrounded!" If they laugh, I'll help; if not, they're oxygen thieves and I'll turn back to my sudoku.

No comments:

Post a Comment