Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Starting out

As the Bard once said, "start at the beginning, it's a very good place to start;" or was that from some movie, 10 points to whomever gets it (sts) first! After 8 years and 6 months in the Air Force, I've been told I get summer vacation! Even better, it's on a bright sunny, sandy beach, I can leave early and stay through the Fall, it's (almost) all expenses paid, and free air travel there and back. Well, I couldn't resist such an offer (really, I couldn't, I didn't have the option) so I said "what's the catch?" The "catch" is that this "beach" has no water, and it's in the middle of Iraq. Saw that one coming.

Really though, it should be an interesting trip, based on what I'll be doing. I'll go into that in a later posting if security allows me too. I was inspired by my good friend Joel's blog of his time in Iraq and thought I would share my trip with you. I leave soon for training in New Jersey (I wonder wat's more dangerous, Baghdad or Trenton?) and then it's off to Baghdad to work with the Iraq Assistance Group helping to transfer control of the country back to the Iraqi government.

I hope you enjoy reading about my time as I share it with you all.

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

Mike "Brain" McConnell

3 comments:

  1. Very nice. I hope you find keeping a blog helpful. And it's The Sound of Music--not sure you really wanted to draw attention to your in-depth knowledge of the movie! ;) Enjoying our old stomping grounds--just had a lovely dinner with too much wine at the Hitching Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike--good idea to do the blog! I heard you're heading right out after training--see you in early March. And you'll find that comments like Jen's describing good food and wine are torturous! (Just kidding around--it's really not all that bad here). Talk to you soon--e-mail me with any questions along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to know my high school guidance counselor was right about something...I'm an inspiration to somebody! She was WAY off on that whole millionaire-cowboy-astronaut career. Good to hear from you Mike and congrats on the blog. I am totally bummed that I will be gone before you get here. Russ will show you the ropes, though. Oh, and FYI...Trenton--WAY more dangerous! Heck, I think strolling around Lompoc at night was a little riskier than it is here. Knock on wood, it's been very quiet since I got here.

    ReplyDelete